An 8-week learning experience that will fine tune your writing skills for the modern newsroom and online media.
You will get a minimum of 16 bylines in multiple styles of writing and reporting — all of which will be aggressively edited — and be a part of six exclusive video chats with professionals in the field. You will find out how to pitch stories that will get published and get you paid.
You will build a portfolio on your own dedicated author page, where all of your work will be permanently displayed in one place. You will receive an official certificate from CMN, and have the opportunity to write and publish on the CMN platform for as long as you wish.
The CMN staff will work with you to find professional opportunities based on your career goals and a custom plan we develop with you. Think of it as a long-term membership to a gym where you can keep your writing skills in top shape.
Along with the six one-hour video interview sessions with Q&A, there will be a minimum of two nuanced writing assignments per week, required readings and opportunities to cover breaking news stories. The course is designed to fit seamlessly into an already busy schedule.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to craft engaging articles for the modern newsroom
- How to translate complex information into a concise, readable story
- How to successfully pitch a story to digital publications
- How to find your unique voice in a saturated market
- Best practices in SEO, tagging and headline writing
- How best to promote your writing via social media
- Tips for becoming an expert interviewer
WHAT YOU WILL GET:
- Detailed feedback on each piece from CMN editors, with the explicit goal of improving your writing and reporting. Multiple re-writes should be expected.
- A minimum of 16 bylines on CMN
- Support and networking help from CMN staff to help you identify, apply and prepare to interview for positions in digital media
- An author page and complete article archive that will reside on CMN
- Official CMN Certificate of course completion
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Write two pieces per week to be published on CMN, including breaking news reports, features, opinions, profiles and news analysis
- Participate in a weekly webinar/video chat with someone currently working in the digital industry (reporters, editors, producers, etc.)
- Develop a concept for a weekly column on a topic of your choice
- Complete a weekly required reading
- Conceive, research, report and write a longform story
Oct. 29 – Dec. 21
If you are enrolled in a college or university and can get academic credit for this course, the CMN team will work with you to complete the required paperwork and evaluations (read about college credit).
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTORS:
Patrick Foster is the Executive Editor of College Media Network, and a journalist with over 20 years of professional experience. He has written worked for the Washington Post, Time Out, Washington City Paper and worked extensively with college students for Gannett newspapers.
Carla Loebenstein is the Senior Editor of College Media Network. She is a recent graduate of Touro College in New York City, where she edited her school publication and oversaw a staff of writers. She has previously worked for the Mayor’s Office of New York, as well as ABC7 Eyewitness News.