An 8-week experiential learning course that will outline the basics of podcasting, from recording setups to interviewing techniques to getting your show onto major distribution platforms.
Ideal for those who are looking to start and launch a podcast of their own — or those who want to add podcasting to their digital skill set — think of it as Podcasting 101 and 102 combined. After eight weeks, you’ll have the skills to conquer to iTunes charts.
Participants will use CMN’s digital platform to hone their skills and will develop, launch, and fine-tune podcasts related to our music and sports courses, with an emphasis on hands-on learning. The course is entirely virtual and can be completed from any location.
Included in the course are six exclusive conferences with podcasters, who will share best practices and stories from their own journeys in podcasting.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Which equipment and software you need to get started in podcasting
- How to conceive a great podcast idea — and make it stand out
- How to record the best-sounding podcast possible
- Best practices for editing a podcast
- How to get your podcast on iTunes, Spotify, Pandora, Stitcher and other major distribution platforms
- How to respond, engage with and encourage audience growth
- Best practices for monetizing your podcast, through advertising and crowdfunding
WHAT YOU WILL GET:
- Experience in recording, editing, promoting and distributing a podcast
- Opportunities to work on different aspects of a podcast to determine your best fit
- A chance to network, exchange ideas and brainstorm with other aspiring podcasters
- An official Certificate of course completion from CMN
- Support from the CMN staff to launch your own podcast or get started in the industry, customized for you
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work on developing and launching two original podcasts for College Media Network
- Conceive, record, edit and distribute original podcasts for CMN
- Participate in six one-hour video conferences with podcasters (at a time mutually convenient for all participants)
Jan 21 – March 15, 2019
If you are enrolled in a college or university and can get academic credit for this course, the CMN team will work with you to complete the required paperwork and evaluations (read about college credit).
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
Patrick Foster is the Executive Editor of College Media Network, and a journalist and podcaster with over 20 years of professional experience. He co-hosted a music podcast for USA TODAY and co-founded and launched Rockin’ the Suburbs, an independent podcast that has reached listeners around the world.