CMN’s Social Media Journalism course is an 8-week learning experience that will expose students to the latest social media techniques, while simultaneously providing a platform to develop your skills. Think of it as a hands-on learning lab for Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
If you are constantly refreshing Twitter and taking pictures of everything you eat and drink for Instagram, and messaging friends on Snapchat and Facebook at all hours, here’s the chance to turn your passion for social media into a career.
The goal of the course is to provide best practices for sharing and promoting digital media content, acquiring followers for branded accounts, interacting with an audience, developing a strategy for covering live events, and more. The experience is focused on positions in news organizations, but it will apply to work with public relations and consumer brands as well.
In addition to working on CMN’s social accounts, you will be a part of six exclusive video chats with professionals in the field, a perfect opportunity to learn and network.
The CMN staff will work with you after the 8-week learning experience to find professional opportunities based on a custom career plan we develop with you. You will have the opportunity to continue to work on CMN’s social media accounts after the course ends, further honing the skills you will learn in the course and staying up to date on the latest developments in social media.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Best practices for promoting news and digital content on all social platforms
- How to adjust your writing for social media
- How to respond, engage and encourage audience
- How to find and keep new followers
- How to conduct an audit of a social media account
- Best practices for developing a social media policy for a company
- How to create a proposal for running a company or individual social media account
- How to effectively tell stories on social media platforms
WHAT YOU WILL GET:
- A set of social media skills that will allow you to work as a social media manager or producer in news, PR, and advertising, among others.
- A minimum of 36 hours of experience working on CMN’s social platforms
- A chance to network, exchange ideas and brainstorm with other students seeking a career in social media
- An official Certificate of course completion from CMN
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Work three 90-minute shifts each week on one of CMN’s existing social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- Participate in six one-hour video conferences with professionals in the field (at a time mutually convenient for all participants)
- Collaborate with another student on a through audit of one branded social media presence and one individual social media presence
- Prepare a proposal to run a social media account for a brand
Oct. 29 – Dec. 21
If you are enrolled in a college or university and can get academic credit for this course, the CMN team will work with you to complete the required paperwork and evaluations (read about college credit).
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTORS:
Patrick Foster is the Executive Editor of College Media Network, and a journalist with over 20 years of professional experience. He has written worked for the Washington Post, Time Out, Washington City Paper and worked extensively with college students for Gannett newspapers.
Carla Loebenstein is the Senior Editor of College Media Network. She is a recent graduate of Touro College in New York City, where she edited her school publication and oversaw a staff of writers. She has previously worked for the Mayor’s Office of New York, as well as ABC7 Eyewitness News.