These are the current College Media Network opportunities. (Why join? Read this.)
College Media Network (CMN) is currently seeking writer/reporters. CMN writer/reporters work remotely, submitting stories on their own schedule. This is a unique opportunity for college students to develop their storytelling skills and sharpen analytical thinking.
Writer/reporters will submit a minimum of three pieces a month, and will receive detailed feedback on each story from a team of experienced editors, with the goal of improving as writers and thinkers. Writer/reporters can submit as many stories as they wish each month.
The editorial focus is on recent national news, trending stories that impact college students, as well as sports, music and technology.
CMN requires that all writer/reporters are enrolled in an accredited college or university, and should be passionate, self-motivated, responsible, and effective communicators. Writer/reporters should have an interest in journalism, media, or publishing. Proficiency in WordPress and Slack is preferred, but not required.
- Working with CMN editors to come up with story ideas that match our mission and the interests of our audience.
- Delivering content on deadline and adhering to AP Style.
- Making story changes requested by editors and incorporating feedback into all subsequent work.
- Promoting your work on your social media platforms.
- Working with other CMN team members as requested.
If you think you have the talent to write for a national audience, here’s your chance to prove it and kickstart your journalism career.
Social Media Producer
College Media Network (CMN) is currently seeking social media producers. Social media producers for CMN work remotely, in two-hour shifts that fit around their academic requirements.
This is a unique opportunity for college students to develop their marketing, storytelling and audience development skills.
CMN requires that all of its social media producers are enrolled in an accredited college or university. Social media producers for CMN should be obsessed with social media, self-motivated, responsible, and effective communicators. Social media producers should have an interest in media, marketing, and social branding. Proficiency in Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram is required. Creative thinking is a must.
- Using CMN social platforms to promote content created by our writers, reporters and course participants.
- Growing CMN followings on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Promoting CMN courses and openings for new team members.
- Using CMN social platforms to creatively tell stories that interest our audience.
- Evaluate analytics and interaction metrics to determine the best delivery methods for content.
- Encourage CMN team members to promote their work on their own social accounts.
- Work with CMN editors and breaking news reporters to cover urgent and developing stories.
Breaking News Reporter
College Media Network (CMN) is seeking breaking news reporters. CMN breaking news reporters work remotely, in two-hour shifts that fit around their schedules.
The editorial focus is on same-day coverage of national news, sports, music, business and technology.
CMN requires that all breaking news reporters are enrolled in an accredited college or university, and should be passionate, self-motivated, responsible, and effective communicators. Breaking news reporters should have an interest in journalism, media, or publishing. Proficiency in WordPress and Slack is preferred, but not required.
- Signing up and fulfilling a minimum of one two-hour shift per week.
- Keeping up-to-date on national and world news at all times.
- Working with CMN editorial staff to identify relevant stories.
- Incorporating all available multimedia elements to best communicate each story.
- Staying committed to factual, accurate and fair reporting at all times.
This is an ideal opportunity for students to develop their skills in distilling facts, properly sourcing developing stories and delivering on a tight deadline.