2019 Grammy Watch: Best R&B Song
Ella Mai or H.E.R.
CMN’s team of music writers is previewing the 2019 Grammy Awards. The 61st annual ceremony will take place Sunday, February 10 in Los Angeles. You can see all of our Grammy coverage here.
1. “Boo’d Up” by Ella Mai- Originally released on her 2017 Ready EP, the silky smooth single didn’t blow up until the spring of 2018 when it received the most radio airplay. The English R&B star climbed with the smash hit all the way to the top of Billboard’s Hot R&B Songs chart.
2. “Come Through and Chill” by Miguel featuring J. Cole & Salaam Remi – When J. Cole and Miguel get together, you can count on having a hit for your ears. This chill single is a perfect blend of Cole’s articulate bars and Miguel’s sensual vocals over a mellow meandering beat.
3. “Feels Like Summer” by Childish Gambino – Donald Glover, also known as Childish Gambino, touches on climate change, overpopulation, and the rush to grow up on this feel-good, summery single. His buttery high notes make for an eloquent way to make listeners think about the state the world and the people in it are in.
4. “Focus” by H.E.R.- At the age of 21, she has her first Grammy nomination for her first radio single from her mixtape all the while keeping her identity a mystery. The track gained even more popularity when Rihanna incorporated the song on her Instagram story. H.E.R., which stands for Having Everything Revealed, has a way with her sultry pipes and smooth poetry to be able to move listeners.
5. “Long As I Live” by Toni Braxton – Toni still sounds as vibrant as she did when she asked to un-break her heart. This exuberant track proves that she has maintained her string of greatness and classy sound in the grown folks R&B genre.
Who Will Win:
Ella Mai has had a very successful run with her single, “Boo’d Up”, dominating the charts since last spring.
Who Should Win:
H.E.R.’s story behind her musical accomplishments and her whole goal of wanting listeners to really focus on her music instead of her image makes her an interesting artist to take home a Grammy.
Jumpstart a career doing something you are passionate about with one of College Media Network’s courses. Read about our current offerings, schedule and unique virtual learning environment here.