“I honestly learned more in this course than I did in all my English and writing classes at college.”— Dominique Dungo, recent CMN Music Journalism Course Participant
This 8-week course is designed for beginning and aspiring music journalists and is based on experiential learning: developing your writing skills and critical voice by practicing them.
You will get published clips that will be evaluated and edited by an instructor with 20+ years of music journalism experience. Our instructor will work with you to identify your strengths and develop them. In the process you will build a digital portfolio of 16 clips and have the opportunity to learn from professionals currently working in the business, from critics to PR professionals.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to craft a thoughtful, insightful review and develop a strong personal voice
- How to accurately identify genres and musical elements within recorded music, as well as how to work them into your writing
- How to draw connections between artists, musical eras and genres, and incorporate them into your writing
- The art of writing a successful live review
- How to write a sharp, balanced artist profile
- Best practices for interviewing
WHAT YOU WILL GET:
- Detailed, personally crafted feedback on your writing, with the goal of developing solid technique and critical voice
- An author page and digital portfolio that will permanently reside on CMN
- Exclusive video chats with industry professionals
- 16 career-related reading assignments and
- 8 career related video assignments
- A profile and listing in CMN’s Music Journalist Database
- Ongoing support from CMN staff to achieve your personal music industry goals, including access to our exclusive jobs database
- Official CMN Certificate of course completion
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Write 16 music pieces including reviews, listicles, profiles and editorials
- Participate in webinars with professionals working in the music industry, including authors, editors, reporters and PR professionals
- Complete 16 music-related readings
- Watch eight music-related videos
- Take part in two one-on-one calls with the instructor
$500. A $100 deposit, which is applied to the cost of the course, is required to reserve your seat. Enrollment is limited.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
Patrick Foster is the Executive Editor of College Media Network, and a journalist with over 20 years of professional experience. He has written about music for the Washington Post, SPIN, Pitchfork, Time Out, and many other outlets. He co-hosted the Dad Rock podcast for USA Today and currently co-hosts the Rockin’ the Suburbs podcast. He once went to 172 concerts in one year.