“I honestly learned more in this course than I did in all my English and writing classes at college.”— Dominique Dungo, recent CMN Music Journalism Course Participant
This 8-week course has been carefully designed for those who want to learn what it really takes to get paid to write about music.
You will get published clips that will be evaluated and edited by an instructor with 20+ years of music journalism experience, who will work with you to identify your strengths and develop them.
You will take part in eight exclusive Q&A networking sessions with professionals in the field.
You will have a dedicated author page where all of your work will be permanently displayed in one place, receive an official certificate from CMN, and the chance to build your portfolio on CMN for as long as you wish.
The CMN staff will also work with you find paid writing gigs, internships in the music business, and professional opportunities.
WHAT YOU WILL GET:
- Detailed feedback on your writing, with the explicit goal of developing solid technique and critical voice
- A minimum of 16 bylines
- Eight music career related reading assignments
- Six music career related video assignments
- The opportunity to build your portfolio on CMN after successfully completing the 8-week course
- One on one calls progress call with the course instructor
- Access to course instructor online “office hours”
- Ongoing support from CMN staff to achieve your personal music industry goals, including access to our exclusive jobs database
- A profile and listing in CMN’s Music Journalist Directory
- An author page and complete article archive that will permanently reside on CMN
- Official CMN Certificate of course completion
$750 (read about payment options). A $75 deposit, which is applied to the cost of the course, is required to reserve your place.
If you are enrolled in a college or university and can would like to get academic credit for this course, the CMN team will work with you to complete the required paperwork and evaluations (read about college credit).
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
Patrick Foster is the Executive Editor of College Media Network, and a journalist with over 20 years of professional experience. He has written about music for the Washington Post, SPIN, Pitchfork, Time Out, and many other outlets. He co-hosted the Dad Rock podcast for USA Today and currently co-hosts the Rockin’ the Suburbs podcast. He once went to 172 concerts in one year.