An 8-week course focused on enhancing your reporting, interviewing and information gathering skills as they specifically relate to the modern sports landscape. Participants will have the opportunity to publish on CMN’s platform, build a multimedia portfolio, and develop your social media reporting skills.
The goal of the course is to combine your passion for sports and your writing skills and specifically tailor them to the sports you are most interested in covering.
This course provides the ideal hands-on experience that separate you from the multitudes of sports journalism majors, while giving you an opportunity to network and learn from peers who share the same drive and passion to succeed in the ultra-competitive world of sports journalism.
The CMN staff will work with you after the 8-week learning experience to find professional opportunities based on a custom career plan we develop with you, as well as your goals.
You will have the opportunity to continue to build your writing and social media reporting skills on CMN’s platform.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to tailor your writing to a specific sport
- How to cover events as they happen
- How to cover and interview college and professional athletes
- How to work with sports information and media departments
- How to pitch stories, understand and work with sports editors
- How to understand and communicate the statistics that really matter
WHAT YOU WILL GET:
- A minimum of 16 bylines on CMN, mixing game coverage, opinion, interviews and analysis
- Use of CMN’s social media platforms to work on live coverage and promotion
- The opportunity to network and exchange ideas with others seeking a career in sports journalism
- Live reporting experience coordinated by CMN
- An official Certificate of course completion from CMN
- Support from the CMN staff to land journalism internships and experience, customized for you
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Write two pieces per week to be published on CMN
- Participate in seven exclusive video conferences with someone currently working in the sports industry (writers, editors, media officials, athletes and sports information directors)
- Attend and cover a minimum of two sporting events for CMN
$750 (read about payment options). A $75 deposit, which is applied to the cost of the course, is required to reserve your place.
If you are enrolled in a college or university and can get academic credit for this course, the CMN team will work with you to complete the required paperwork and evaluations (read about college credit).
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR:
Patrick Foster is the Executive Editor of College Media Network, and a journalist with over 20 years of professional experience. He has written worked for the Washington Post, Time Out, Washington City Paper and worked extensively with college students for Gannett newspapers.