2019 Grammy Watch: Best Contemporary Album
Another win for Beyonce and Jay Z?
1. Everything is Love by The Carters– The album that completes the trilogy of marital projects along side Beyonce’s Lemonade and Jay-Z’s 4:44. Though the couple’s solo albums revolve around the issues in their marriage, Everything is Love is the exact opposite as of that, showing the world how strong their bond actually is and how rich they are.
2. The Kids Are Alright by Chloe X Halle – The fearless sister duo who caught Beyonce’s attention presents a coming-of-age body of work that pours out hope for the youth and reassures adults that this generation has got it from here. Their powerfully angelic vocals fill all spaces on every track of this album.
3. Chris Dave & The Drumheadz by Chris Dave & The Drumheadz – Frontman Chris Dave has drummed for artists that range from Justin Bieber, Adele, and D’Angelo. With a blend of jazz, gospel, funk, and soul, there is no genre to box this album in due to its ability to make you question what it is you’re listening to.
4. War & Leisure by Miguel – Known for his erotic music, Miguel went in a different direction on his fourth studio album with psychedelic R&B sounds. He brought political energy to the forefront during these uncertain times we are living in, showing his songwriting skills have matured. Don’t be fooled though, there are still plenty of kinky lines throughout the album in the midst of it all.
5. Ventriloquism by Meshell Ndegeocello – A cover is not just a cover and Meshell has shown just that, once again. Her 12th studio album is a blend of 11 R&B and Pop covers from the 80s and 90s. She toys with the variance of the songs and the discrepancies within them.
Who Will Win:
Already, it is inevitable to see that The Carters will win the Best Contemporary Album due to the Beyhive’s loyalty to Beyonce. Plus, let’s face it, more than majority of the time Beyonce is nominated she wins.
Who Should Win:
Miguel’s War& Leisure deserves to win a Grammy for the context it holds & for the recognizable strengthening in his songwriting.
If you obsess over singers and bands, and are one of those people who make a playlist for every occasion, join CMN’s Music Journalism Course and get real-time experience, intense feedback on your writing, exposure to music industry insiders, and a great place to display build your portfolio. Get all the details on the Music Journalism Course here.