Tortoise Rescue declared May 23 World Turtle Day in 2000, and their Twitter page @WorldTurtleDay is encouraging people to “#shellabrate” by spreading awareness of the struggles these little cuties face around the world.
Popsci claims that most species of turtles are endangered due to habitat loss, illegal pet trade, and environmental destruction. Tortoise Rescue, a foundation committed to saving turtles and tortoises of all kinds writes that “biologists and other experts predict the disappearance of turtles and tortoises within the next fifty years.”
Although everyone knows that turtles are slow, they do have some other unique qualities:
- For starters, their shells are “an evolutionary modification of the rib cage and part of the vertebral column.” So a turtle is connected to it’s shell, and can’t crawl out of it.
- Although land turtles can retract their head and arms into their shells, sea turtle cannot.
- Different types of turtles can be carnivorous, herbivorous, or omnivorous, but they can adapt to whatever food their environments provide.
- Turtles have been to space– well, tortoises, that is. In 1968, The Soviet Union sent a number of live passengers into space in probe Zond 5, two of which were Russian Tortoises. The turtles were brought back to the lab after the mission, and scientists found that they had no loss of appetite, did lose about ten percent of their body weight.
- Turtles were here before most of their other reptilian cousins (such as alligators and snakes). They’ve been traced back to 200 million years ago– the same time when dinosaurs roamed the Earth.
These facts show that turtles are resilient animals, and studies show that they can outlive most humans by 100 years when in a he
althy environment. However, poaching, environmental destruction and harmful pet practices are driving turtles’ numbers down. A list of steps on how to help turtles can be found on Tortoise Rescue’s website, but some of these tips include
- Not buying turtles or tortoises from pet stores, because this increases the demand, and causes more turtles to be taken from their natural habitat.
- Never removing turtles from the wild, unless they’re sick or injured.
- Write to your legislators and ask to keep sensitive habitats preserved and to stop shore drilling to prevent the deprivation of turtle habitats.
Are you looking for digital journalism training and experience? Are you a journalism major who wants to take your career to the next level? CMN’s Digital Journalism course gives you real-time experience, intense feedback on your writing, exposure to journalism influencers and mentors, and a great place to display your work. You can get academic credit too. Check out the Digital Journalism Course here.
Sign up for the Morning Scoop
Microsoft Co-Founder and Seattle Area Sports Owner Paul Allen Dead at 65 From Cancer
The technology giant passed away after his cancer returned.
Judge Tosses Stormy Daniels Defamation Lawsuit Against Donald Trump
This dismissal may not be the end, according to Daniels' attorney.
Bernie Sanders Literally Saved Someone from a Possible Car Accident in Washington, D.C.
Bernie Sanders helps a young musician and law student from a possible car accident.
Amy Schumer and Emily Ratajkowski Amongst Many Arrested at Capitol Hill ‘No Kavanaugh’ Protest
The final vote on Kavanaugh could come as early as this weekend, and these women are not backing down.