Welcome to the Morning Scoop for August 6, 2018. We’ve got the news you might have missed this weekend and a story about crowdfunding helping one incoming freshman.
Journalists at CMN are committed to pursuing accurate reporting, despite equally passionate attacks against the profession. CMN exists to give them a place to develop their talents, but we need your help to keep the lights on.
We Watched the News This Weekend
- President Trump says he didn’t know about the infamous Trump Tower meeting between his son and a Russian lawyer, but admits the goal was to get info on Hillary Clinton. It happened in a Sunday tweetstorm.
- Five people are dead after a small plane crashed into a California parking lot. Miraculously, no one on the ground was hurt when the plane smashed into the ground, killing everyone on board.
- Police and protestors clashed at an right-wing rally in Portland, and counter-demonstrators are saying law enforcement went too far by using rubber bullets and stun grenades. Meanwhile, 20 people were arrested at protests in Berkeley, Calif.
- At least 90 people are dead and more than 200 injured after an earthquake hit the Indonesian tourist island of Lombok last night.
- Starting around midnight Saturday, over 40 people were shot, including four who died, in Chicago. It was one of the most violent weekends in a what has become a very violent city.
Demi Speaks: ‘I Will Keep Fighting’
In her first statement since a suspected drug overdose put her in the hospital more than two weeks ago, Demi Lovato says she’s focused on her recovery and knows the road ahead could be long.
“I have always been transparent about my journey with addiction,” Lovato wrote in a letter posted to Instagram yesterday. “What I’ve learned is that this illness is not something that disappears or fades with time. It is something I must continue to overcome and have not done yet.”
Gay Valedictorian Kicked Out by Parents is Now Going to Georgetown, Thanks to GoFundMe
After being rejected by his parents due to his sexuality, openly gay 18-year-old Seth Owen was left with a 4.16 GPA, an acceptance to Georgetown University, and the realization that he couldn’t afford to go to college on his own.
Having found out about Owen’s sexuality during his sophomore year of high school, Owen’s parents responded by sending him to a Christian counselor, attempting “conversion therapy.”
Today in a Tweet
For fans of a certain age, sad news about the “Facts of Life”
Last But Not Least: The Growlers new ‘Casual Acquaintances’ Covers Alt-Pop in Grit
In my circle of musically inclined friends, The Growlers are often met with mixed reviews: you either love ‘em, or you think they’re mediocre.
Some think that they try too hard to fit within the confines of a Twin Peaks-esque sound, while some purely love them for their catchy, self-described “beach goth” genre. On 2016’s “City Club,” the band found themselves under the direction of Ultimate-Cool-Dude Julian Casablancas, their hazy beach vibes scrubbed clean with New York disco and thrust into a leather jacket for good measure.
Wednesday’s Morning Scoop was made possible by Hailey Nagma,
Are you looking for digital journalism training and experience? Are you a journalism major who wants to take your career to the next level? CMN’s Digital Journalism course gives you real-time experience, intense feedback on your writing, exposure to journalism influencers and mentors, and a great place to display your work. You can get academic credit too. Check out the Digital Journalism Course here.
Sign up for the Morning Scoop
Here’s What We Know So Far About Operation Varsity Blues
A summary and the latest updates about the largest college admissions scandal to hit the country.
The Department of Health and Human Services Received Complaints of Alleged Sexual Abuse Against Foreign National Minors
Migrant children may be at risk on the ground and overseas.
California Governor Gavin Newsom Suspends Death Penalty Statewide
The Golden State is on the verge of ending the death penalty.
North Dakota State University Football Player Wears Socialist Pin at the Trump White House
The Reds infiltrate the White House.