Editor’s Note: As part of CMN’s ongoing music journalism program, we asked our team of music writers to come up with a list of some of their favorite (music) things.
2008 was arguably one of the best of the decade for pop music. It was filled with catchy hits and one-hit-wonders that many of us may never forget.
Rihanna dominated the charts and Flo Rida’s “Low” was stuck in everyone’s head for weeks. Between the collaborations and near- addicting music videos, there was plenty to enjoy during the year. Some may even say 2008 was the year pop culture peaked!
2008 gave younger generations a reason to be excited about music and obsess over their favorite artists and bands.
One in particular, the Jonas Brothers, were practically taking over the world. Camp Rock blessed both televisions and iPods, and those who grew up watching might even admit they still they jam to these tunes currently.
Music was fun, evolving and full of life. And although 2008 had a bunch of life-changing tracks, here are a list of my personal favorites.
1. “Apologize” – Timbaland ft. One Republic
2. “Love Song” – Sara Bareilles
3. “Don’t Stop the Music” – Rihanna
4. “American Boy” – Estelle ft. Kanye
5. “Hot N Cold” – Katy Perry
6. “Let It Rock” – Kevin Rudolf ft. Lil Wayne
7. “Burnin’ Up” – Jonas Brothers ft. Big Rob
8. “So What” – P!nk
9. “If I Were a Boy” – Beyoncé
10. “Poker Face” – Lady Gaga
11. “Paper Planes” – M.I.A.
12. “Viva La Vida” – Coldplay
13. “Bubbly” – Colbie Caillat
14. “Whatever You Like” – T.I.
15. “No Air” – Jordin Sparks ft. Chris Brown
If you obsess over singers and bands, and are one of those people who make a playlist for every occasion, join CMN’s Music Journalism Course and get real-time experience, intense feedback on your writing, exposure to music industry insiders, and a great place to display build your portfolio. Get all the details on the Music Journalism Course here.