According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 200 people have been infected with a parasite called Cyclospora cayetanensis after eating Del Monte Fresh Produce vegetable trays.
The parasite is the cause of an intestinal illness called cyclosporiasis which occurs after ingesting contaminated food or water. Symptoms of infection include, but are not limited to, frequent diarrhea, stomach pains, and nausea that can last up to a month without treatment.
There have been 212 cases linked to the recalled Del Monte trays sold across the midwest. The 6-,12-, and 28-ounce trays contain fresh broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrot sticks, and dill dip.
The CDC says the recalled packages were sold at Kwik Trip, Kwik Star, Demond’s, Sentry, Potash, Meehan’s, Country Market, FoodMax and Peapod stores in Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, and Wisconsin.
Trays purchased with a best if enjoyed by date of June 17, 2018 should not be consumed. Officials say those that have already eaten them should contact their healthcare provider if they are exhibiting symptoms.
Are you looking for digital journalism training and experience? Are you a journalism major who wants to take your career to the next level? CMN’s Digital Journalism course gives you real-time experience, intense feedback on your writing, exposure to journalism influencers and mentors, and a great place to display your work. You can get academic credit too. Check out the Digital Journalism Course here.
Sign up for the Morning Scoop
Electoral Reform and Voting Rights Expansion Won Big in the Midterms
From Florida to Michigan, voting rights expansions and electoral reform are making gains.
First FDA Approved Cannabis-Based Drug Available for Prescription
CBD has been known to treat seizures for years, but now the FDA is on board, making it legal for...