A Utah State University student was taken to a hospital on Saturday after swallowing a Tide Pod. U.S. health officials had released warnings against the danger of swallowing the laundry detergent pods days earlier. The trend — which led to the “Tide Pod Challenge” — has gained traction in recent weeks, fueled by rumor and social media.
The school’s newspaper, The Utah Statesmen, reported that the student was taken to an area hospital, but there were no immediate reports on the unnamed student’s condition.
A Utah University spokesman said it was unclear why the student ingested the Tide Pod, but he added that “For students and members of our university who are feeling overwhelmed, we have services available. There are people here to talk to you.”
Did you enjoy this article? You can learn how to write stories like this from our journalism experts. In just two short months, CMN will get you the hands-on experience necessary to actually land a job in journalism. Check our training courses here.
Sign up for the Morning Scoop
Analysis: Trump Administration Still Wants to Separate Immigrant Families
The Flores settlement is in the spotlight as children remain apart from their parents.
Toyota Recalls Over One Million or More Hybrids Due to Fire Risk
Toyota is under pressure after over a million vehicles were recalled.
Hacker Who Published Celebrities’ Nude Photos Sentenced to Jail
Garofano was the first out of four people to be sentenced for these crimes.
Seven Arrested in Protests Over Removal of “Silent Sam” at UNC Chapel Hill
Protests over the removal of a confederate statue at UNC Chapel Hill on Monday come to a head this Saturday.