A Utah State University student was taken to a hospital on Saturday after swallowing a Tide Pod. U.S. health officials had released warnings against the danger of swallowing the laundry detergent pods days earlier. The trend — which led to the “Tide Pod Challenge” — has gained traction in recent weeks, fueled by rumor and social media.
The school’s newspaper, The Utah Statesmen, reported that the student was taken to an area hospital, but there were no immediate reports on the unnamed student’s condition.
A Utah University spokesman said it was unclear why the student ingested the Tide Pod, but he added that “For students and members of our university who are feeling overwhelmed, we have services available. There are people here to talk to you.”
Sign up for the Morning Scoop
Tennessee College Student Dies During Annual Boxing Tournament
The 20-year-old aerospace engineering major collapsed during the University of Tennessee's Ace Miller Memorial Boxing Tournament.
Woman Arrested After Driving Car Into White House Barrier
The 35-year-old is said to have had previous encounters with law enforcement around the White House.
Did the College Board Use Florida Shooting as Advertising Strategy?
A controversial mass email sent by the College Board on Wednesday has gone viral.
College Grants Scholarship Aid to Slain Police Officer’s Family
Eric Joering was fatally shot while on duty on February 10th.
States Fight Back Against FCC’s Orders to End Net Neutrality in April
Nearly half the states in the U.S. are fighting for net neutrality.