Recognized by The United Nations and about 100 countries around the world — Wednesday, June 20 has been marked as World Refugee Day.
— Alanna Vagianos (@lannadelgrey) June 20, 2018
The UN defines a refugee as “someone who has been forced to flee his or her country because of persecution, war, or violence.” This day was first celebrated in 2001, created by the UN to celebrate the resilience and strength of refugees and their contributions to society.
Superman stands up for what’s right. Did you also know he’s a refugee? This #WorldRefugeeDay, be like Superman and stand up for what’s right. #StandWithRefugees and @theIRC. pic.twitter.com/Qn9wY4rDGp
— DC (@DCComics) June 20, 2018
A majority of refugees are currently from Syria, where 6.3 million people have fled to escape conflict. Even worse, more than half of the refugees, around the world are under the age of 18.
I pray that your home is always safe enough that you don’t have to flee. #WorldRefugeeDay2018
— Mariette Bahati (@MarietteBahati) June 20, 2018
“The United States will continue to prioritize the admission of the most vulnerable refugees while upholding the safety and security of the American people,” said U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in a statement. He noted that the United States as accepted more than 3.3. million refugees for permanent resettlement, more than any other country in the world.
Former President Obama on #WorldRefugeeDay:
“Are we a nation that accepts the cruelty of ripping children from their parents’ arms, or are we a nation that values families, and works to keep them together?” pic.twitter.com/AeyM2Qyxfz
— MSNBC (@MSNBC) June 20, 2018
According to Fast Company here are five ways you can help refugees everyday, not just today:
- UNICEF works on the ground to protect children in crisis. They take care of basic needs like offering food and water along refugee routes, creating child-friendly spaces in refugee camps, and places where women can rest and take care of their babies. Donate here.
- In the U.S., sign up to volunteer at a local refugee resettlement office here.
- If you have legal experience, or are looking to gain some, join the International Refugee Assistance Project or learn more about it here.
- Doctors without Borders, a.k.a. MSF (Médecins Sans Frontières), works around the world to provide important medical services to refugees. Click here to learn more about donating your time or money.
- Sign up to host refugees through Refugees Welcome. You can volunteer to provide shelter to refugees by renting to them or offering to invite them in and room with them, kind of like Airbnb. The organization will even help you pay your rent and cover extra utilities.
Einstein was a refugee. Steve Jobs was the son of a Syrian refugee. Refugees are human beings with equal rights to you and me. They have unbounded potential. Today is #WorldRefugeeDay
RT and stand #WithRefugees#whatishome @europeaid pic.twitter.com/qoGUlXirJu
— Neven Mimica (@MimicaEU) June 20, 2018
This problem is bigger than all of us; the solution comes together, when we do.
Did you enjoy this article? Consider supporting College Media Network's mission to support the next generation of journalists. For as little as $2 a month, you can help keep our site ad-free and the future of journalism alive. Go here to donate.
Sign up for the Morning Scoop
Teen Who Urged Boyfriend’s Suicide Through Text Says It Was Free Speech
Apparently, the First Amendment extends to telling your boyfriend to get back into the truck and kill himself.
Build-A-Bear ‘Pay Your Age’ Deal Ends in Failure
Would you wait in a line for hours, for a $29.00 teddy? Many did, which ended in chaos.
Groundbreaking Experiment Designs Cancer Cells Attack to Their Own Tumors
New research on genome-edited tumor cells could hold the key to successful cancer treatment.