BuzzFeed News did an analysis on Facebook’s effort to stop the spread of fake news and found that the 50 most viral fake news stories were more popular than the top 50 fake news stories of 2016. This brings up the question, how much progress is really being made in reducing this misinformation?
“The top 50 fake stories of 2017 identified by BuzzFeed News generated a total of roughly 23.5 million shares, reactions, and comments on Facebook between Jan. 1 and Dec. 9,” according to BuzzSumo.
However, Facebook ensures that they are more effective at stopping these hoaxes than ever before, limiting distribution of fake stories by 80% once it has been identified.
Here are the top five most popular fake news stories on Facebook of 2017:
1. Babysitter transported to hospital after inserting baby in her vagina: 1.2 million shares
2. FBI seizes over 3,000 penises during raid at morgue employee’s home: 1.1 million shares
3. Charles Manson to be released on parole to Johnson County, TX: 1.1 million shares
4. Police: Chester Bennington was murdered: 1 million shares
5. Morgue employee cremated by mistake while taking a nap: 993, 000 shares
Sign up for the Morning Scoop
Immigration Officials Are Denying Green Cards and Visas Whenever They Want
An almost undetectable policy change has made drastic differences.
Analysis: Trump Administration Still Wants to Separate Immigrant Families
The Flores settlement is in the spotlight as children remain apart from their parents.
Toyota Recalls Over One Million or More Hybrids Due to Fire Risk
Toyota is under pressure after over a million vehicles were recalled.
Hacker Who Published Celebrities’ Nude Photos Sentenced to Jail
Garofano was the first out of four people to be sentenced for these crimes.