BuzzFeed News did an analysis on Facebook’s effort to stop the spread of fake news and found that the 50 most viral fake news stories were more popular than the top 50 fake news stories of 2016. This brings up the question, how much progress is really being made in reducing this misinformation?
“The top 50 fake stories of 2017 identified by BuzzFeed News generated a total of roughly 23.5 million shares, reactions, and comments on Facebook between Jan. 1 and Dec. 9,” according to BuzzSumo.
However, Facebook ensures that they are more effective at stopping these hoaxes than ever before, limiting distribution of fake stories by 80% once it has been identified.
Here are the top five most popular fake news stories on Facebook of 2017:
1. Babysitter transported to hospital after inserting baby in her vagina: 1.2 million shares
2. FBI seizes over 3,000 penises during raid at morgue employee’s home: 1.1 million shares
3. Charles Manson to be released on parole to Johnson County, TX: 1.1 million shares
4. Police: Chester Bennington was murdered: 1 million shares
5. Morgue employee cremated by mistake while taking a nap: 993, 000 shares
Sign up for the Morning Scoop
New Starbucks Policy Allows Anyone To Use Its Restrooms
An incident involving two men prompted a change that would impact 8,000 Starbucks cafes nationwide.
$90 Million Worth of Liquid Meth Found in Semi-Truck in North Carolina
Just in case you need a conversion rate of liquid meth to street value, it's 120 gallons for $90 million.
One Dead and Two Injured after Georgia Graduation Ceremony
Graduations should be a time to celebrate, but that wasn't the case for this ceremony in Georgia.