Connect with us

2018 Midterms

Public Support for Politically Progressive Policies are on the Rise Nationwide

Ordinary citizens are becoming sympathetic to a more progressive union.

Duane Paul Murphy

Published

on

Recent public opinion polling from Data for Progress has shown that a significant number of voters in the United States are starting to support progressive policies that could benefit the country’s middle class and working class. The survey was conducted with more than 1,500 eligible voters between July 13 and July 16, 2018.

On the issue of criminal justice reform, public approval for ending cash bail for the accused is relatively high with 20% in strong support and 26% in somewhat support, 46% in total of relative support. In regards to health care policy, 29% showed strong support and 22% displayed somewhat support for mass creation as well as the distribution of life-saving generic drugs, a total of 51% expressed overall support. The survey also shows that there is more than 50% in total of relative support for a public internet option to compete with private internet service providers and the creation of a public jobs guarantee to achieve full employment. The survey has also shown an increase in support for these policies from urban and rural voters as well as working class and college educated people across all races, especially from non-white people of color.

This latest public opinion comes at a time where progressive politics is gaining traction in the 2018 midterm elections were politicians such as Bernie Sanders and Alexandria Ocasio Cortez as well as progressive organizations such as Our Revolution and Justice Democrats are rallying behind candidates with similar policy goals such as Bret Welder in Kansas and Abdul El-Sayeed in Michigan.

Are you looking for digital journalism training and experience? Are you a journalism major who wants to take your career to the next level? CMN’s Digital Journalism course gives you real-time experience, intense feedback on your writing, exposure to journalism influencers and mentors, and a great place to display your work. You can get academic credit too. Check out the Digital Journalism Course here.

Duane Paul Murphy is a D.C. college student and student journalist born and raised in Southern California. Currently studying for his bachelor’s in politics and a minor in media studies, Duane Paul is interested in covering domestic as well as international political affairs that impact the lives of everyday people, whether they are young students, professionals, or faculty in higher education.

Sign up for the Morning Scoop

and wake up with us each day.

CMN Reports

Entertainment3 hours ago

Ambani-Piramal Wedding Celebrations include Beyonce and Hillary Clinton

India's richest man's daughter gets married.

by , Mercy College
National News14 hours ago

Fatalities Reported at Strasbourg Christmas Market Shooting, Suspect Still at Large

France has currently upgraded their security threat level after terrorist attack leaves at least 12 injured

by , CMN Senior Correspondent
Academics1 week ago

Temple University Professor Marc Lamont Hill Faces More Trouble Over U.N. Speech

The Temple University professor is under fire from Temple for a U.N. speech critical of Israel.

by , The Catholic American University
National News3 weeks ago

Michigan State University Ex-President Charged in Larry Nassar Case

The investigation continues.

by , U. Alabama Birmingham
Food3 weeks ago

CDC Warns Not to Eat Romaine Lettuce Amid Another E. coli Outbreak

If you were planning on having a side salad this Thanksgiving, think again.

by , U. Alabama Birmingham
Academics3 weeks ago

Michael Bloomberg Donates $1.8 Billion to Johns Hopkins University

Bloomberg's gift is one of the largest ever donations to higher education, but it hasn't garnered the praise that the...

by , University of Pittsburgh
Education3 weeks ago

Betsy DeVos Reinterprets Title IX: Victims Must Bear the Burden of Proof

Opponents of the policy say that it would favor the accused over the accuser.

by , University of Pittsburgh
In the Hot Seat3 weeks ago

This Heartwarming Story Turned out to be too Good to be True

Couple who decided they wanted to do the right thing by raising money for a homeless man turned out to...

by , Mercy College

Top Reads